Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Aug 1999 22:48:54 PDT
From:         Tony Peet <tpvw@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      New Company:  Westfalia USA (kinda)

Volks:

I was poking around the Vanagon website the other day and came upon the supplier for water tank keys (Euro-American RV Products aka Delta Six Enterprises). I decided to order some, and called the phone number listed, and a voice answered "Westfalia USA!."

No kidding.

So we got to talking, and it turns out this man is one of the people "who was on the design team for the Westfalia" (the work for which was mostly done in Southern California (!) he said). His name was something like Peter Catlatt -- and I imagine that some of you on the list already know him. Apparently he has a long association with Westfalia.

Now here's the news: two months ago they established Westfalia USA. Why? Well, according to Peter, one of Westfalia's biggest businesses is making.....tow hitches!** Apparently they had an early patent on a ball hitch design and made lots of them and lots of money. So guess who and what they have just gotten the contract to make integrated/"disappearing" tow hitches for?

(Pause for effect and also, prepare yourself, you MAY not like some aspect of this:)

Here it comes.....

The new BMW SUV (inevitable, but jeez) which will be coming out at the end of the year and will be made in, I think, Spartenburg SC. (Peter himself is in Tennessee I think.) Apparently the 'ball and cone' tow hitch for the BMW is built in UNDER and BEHIND the back bumper (ie not visible), so the toe arm goes under the bumper and somehow locks "upward". The hitch is somehow anchored into the structure of the car. I hope you get a partial picture, 'cause that's the best I can do today. Peter was very excited about this in that it is very innovative and basically allows for an integrated towing system with "no impact on exterior vehicle design."

Anyway, that's what he said and I wanted to share it with the list as soon as possible: the real Westfalia apparently now has an official presence in the USA!

Please don't email me with questions, as you know all I that I do now.

Tony

** According to Peter, Westfalia's 'mobile division' is still very much in the business of making specialty vehicles -- or vehicles with "specialized applications." They do a lot for the military.