Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Aug 1999 13:03:39 -0400
From:         Steven Shane <s.shane@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Battery Thread (Another Option)

Secondary Battery Options...

------ The Optima D900 M deep cycle battery is about $160 - $180 and puts out 65 Amp Hours see http://www.dcbattery.com/optima2.html Supposedly this fits in the driver side battery box with some hack work. (no thanks)

------ The Sonnenchine A212/55 for $207 + ship puts out 55 Amp Hours and supposedly JUST fits into the battery box... Nice fit, but MUCHO bucks!!! http://webnz.com/apeacock/battery/sonnena2.html

------ Powersonic makes a 40 Amp Hour battery that easily fits into the box and costs $100 + ship. It's called the PS-124000. Good price, but lower battery hours.

so..... why not pick up a Powersonic PS-12600 (http://www.twdc.org.uk/PS-12600.html) 60 Amp Hour battery for $123 + ship, screw the whole idea of making it fit into that stupid little box behind the drivers seat, and do what Jason suggested a while back. (see SNIP)

I mean heck... it's a VAN! There are a million places to mount a sealed battery and run the wires to the box behind the seat, and if you have a Westy, there are a million and a half locations.

<SNIP> From: Jason M. Yasment <vanagon@NYCAP.RR.COM> >Rather than spending $180.00 for an Optima battery, I had this idea: > >1. From the terminals on the relay beneath the drivers seat run extensions >out of the compartment. >2. Obtain a boat battery box and whatever size battery you need to run >your accesories for whatever time you need. >3. Whenever you are in need of the deep-cycle you can secure it with >bungee cords and hook it up. When you are traveling it will charge from the >alternator. When you are not a simple solar tricle charger should suffice >in keeping it topped off. > >From looking around different FLAPS and bulk discount stores, I estimate you >can do this for less than the cost of an Optima and easily have twice the >capacity. > >Jason

---------

Steven Shane, Columbus, Ohio My $.02 worth. - Peace Volks!