Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Aug 1999 20:47:14 -0400
From:         "Dan Beeson (by way of Derek Drew <drew@interport.net>)"
              <dbeeson@BELLTC.CTC.EDU>
Subject:      Euro-Engine: 85 Volkswagen Van, Cooling, Coolant, Air

iATN Help: send blank email to: help@i-atn.com Upgrade: http://members.iatn.net/enhanced.html Archives: http://members.iatn.net/sponsorsindex.html Post Message: http://members.iatn.net/email/ _______________________________________________________

1985 Volkswagen Van 1.9 L

Trans: Standard Mileage: 120,000 miles VIN: WV2YB025XFH086922

Misc Data: 2WD Affected Item: Coolant Condition: Air

We have tried all recommended methods to bleed the air out of the cooling system as per Alldata and MOD with no luck.

We have jacked up front end 16", open bleeder on radiator (actually just a bolt in the hole) and all of the coolant IMMEDIATLY drains backwards out of overflow. Our info says to fill while running with bleeder on rad removed. When we do this with engine running or not, all of the coolant drains to the back and out of the overflow. We have tried lifting the back end and still no luck. Appears to have no flow up to rad (hoses cold and engine overheats).

Pulled a hose off at water pump and when engine is started it appeared to have flow which appears to indicate water pump is pumping. Our biggest problem is when we open bleeder on rad all of the coolant flows out of overflow...but this is the method in the book.

Any suggestions would be helpfull!!

Dan Beeson dbeeson@belltc.ctc.edu Educator/Instructor Bellingham Technical College Bellingham, Washington, USA

iATN Sponsoring Member

RELATED REPAIR HISTORY

85 VW Vanagon came to us on the hook with an overheating complaint. Alternator bracket was broken and belt was off...water pump not turning.

Removed coolant cross-over pipe to access a broken bolt. Now can not bleed air from cooling system.

_______________________________________________________ iATN Industry Sponsors: http://www.iatn.net/atn/ iATN WebSite: http://members.iatn.net/index.asp Guidelines: http://www.iatn.net/guide.html To configure or cancel your iATN account see: http://members.iatn.net/config/index.asp