Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Aug 1999 01:14:48 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Optima d750-S vs. d750-U
Comments: To: Todd Last <Rubatoguy@mindspring.com>

At 21:34 8/20/99 -0700, Todd Last wrote:

>The web site cautioned against using CCA and Amp hour ratings and to >instead look >at the Reserve and Cycle life to judge the quality of the battery.

Hi Todd --

CCA and Reserve time are *starting* battery ratings. I don't believe that deep-cycle batteries are ever rated in those terms, as they are not built to deliver high cranking amps at any time. CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) says how many amps the battery can deliver for thirty seconds at zero fahrenheit. There's a much more generous number you find on marine batteries that is specified at 32 f. instead of zero. Reserve Capacity tells how many minutes the battery will carry a 25 amp load when fully charged (and, I believe, have a little left to start with) at some benign temperature like 60 fahrenheit. This is a useful number to give an idea how far you might get driving when your alternator stops alternating.

Amp-hour ratings say how much total power is available from the battery at a specified discharge rate. Ordinarily the rate is 20 hours to discharged, b/c that rate gives high numbers. I believe Optima also specifies a 10-hour rate (I think they are 65 AH at c/20, 52 AH at c/10). A one-hour rating will be a pitiful fraction of the 20-hour. For a deep-cycle battery these are the ratings that make sense, although you have to bear in mind that you will seldom in practice achieve the theoretical capacity, and if you want to have the battery to last a long time you should assume a working capacity of 35% of theoretical. That is to say, it takes three hours or so to charge from 85% to near 100%, which is not economical if you're running the engine to charge; and the cycle life degrades considerably if you discharge below 50% (like 1000 cycles at 50% down to 200 cycles at 10%). Also, of course, the battery loses capacity as it ages. I believe the industry agrees that a battery is used up when its capacity reaches half of original, and that's what the cycle-life ratings are based on. Depressing, isn't it?

Cycle life will be specified as so many charge-discharge cycles down to X per cent of charge. Assuming that X is the same and the mfr is telling the truth, more cycles implies a better battery, but this says nothing about the capacity of the battery.

All these ratings are subject to "specsmanship," exaggeration, sample variations, lack of initial freshness etc. etc. Consumer Reports doesn't do deep-cycle batteries, but they periodically take a look at (consumer-grade) starting batteries and they always get a good proportion of batteries that don't meet their claimed specs.

My two cents... david David Beierl - Providence, RI '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"