Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Aug 1999 09:05:28 +0000
From:         Martin Kennelly <korn@SIMNET.IS>
Subject:      Re: Anybody know this part number?

Maybe there is a similarity to the function of the secondary pump to the one that is used by the 1.6 td. There is a secondary cooling pump with the 1.6td. This pump, as far as I have experienced, is only activated when the cooling temp is dangerously overheated and will remain on even after the engine is turned off. It circulates the cooling liquid around the oil cooler (an extra circulation aid for extreme needs) Also connected to same temp. sensor is an air blower (fan) which blows cool air to the turbo by way off a funnel. Both this fan and the secondary cooling pump are only activated when the cooling temp reaches dangerously close to redline or if you disconnect the wire from the temp sensor and earth it.

My engine has sort of survived three redline overheating episodes and maybe these items contributed to that. A working secondary pump is not at all necessary to the normal running of the 1.6td. You do not say if your pump is working or not. Many Audi and VW parts are interchangeable and carry the same part nr. so there is no inconvenience to be stuck with an Audi part.

After all that, the part nr, is not visible on my secondary pump. If your pump is working why not use it?. If it is not rusted internally these pumps easily live a long live and its operation can be checked by occasional earthing of the temp. sensor wire.

Best regards, Martin Kennelly