Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Aug 1999 21:52:24 EDT
From:         Gary McEachern <glmce@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Help..oil light on 84 GL
Comments: To: vanagon@onelist.com

Hello

Once again I need to ask your advice. While on a trip to our campsite in Maine today, the oil light on my new '84GL started to flicker. At the time I was traveling around 70 mph. I stopped, checked and topped off the oil. The flickering once again resumed after I was at highway speed for a few minutes. The LED flashing started to increase in frequency, duration and intensity as time went on. When I slowed down it seemed to stop and then return as I increased my speed again. I kept the speed low and made it to my destination without further occurence.

On the way back to Massachusetts the light started to flicker once again after 15-20 minutes at highway speed. At this point it was lighting for longer periods of time and continued to do so at slower speeds. It was now lighting intermittently at idle! I pulled off the highway and called AAA for a tow home.

Whats going on? The oil appears clean. The engine,in all other respects, sounds and runs fine. The coolant temperature appears normal. I just had the oil and filter changed a few weeks ago. The oil sensor wire doesn't appear to be pinched or shorted. The LED comes on when I turn the ignition on and quickly extinguishes when the engine starts..but now the LED will start flash even at idle!

I recently bought the van with approx 16K miles on a new engine (dealer installed long block). I assume the oil pump and oil sensor were new at this point(approx 2 years ago).

Is this likely caused by a bad oil sensor? Do these tend to fail more often than other oil pressure related components? Please tell me yes!

Tomorrow I plan to swap the oil sensor with one from my '84 parts van. If this doesn't fix the problem, I planned to connect an oil pressure gauge in place of the sensor to determine if the pressure is actually low.

If the oil pressure is really low, could something else besides the oil pump cause this problem? Oil pressure relief valve? Oil filter? ?? ??

Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Gary

Gary McEachern '84GL,'87GL Wolfsburg '82GL (4 sp, for sale)