Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Aug 1999 12:34:33 -0400
From:         Noto-Gaudette <derwin@NET1PLUS.COM>
Subject:      [Long ] Bought tires (WAS: Field-scouting Tires)

Hi all,

I bought Cooper SRM II Radial LT tires about two weeks ago and want to share my thought on them despite the risk of infuriating the many list members who are sick of tire threads...

The tire I purchased is Item #64306, size 195/R14C (aspect ratio n/a. The 185/R14C size is item #64305). The rest of the stats:

M & S rated (Mud and Snow) Load Index: 106 (102 for 185/R14C) Load Range: D (both) Max load at max pressure: 2095 lbs. @ 65 PSI (1875 lbs @ 65 PSI for 185/R14C) Speed index: Q (99 mph/130 km/h) Sidewalls: Black w/black lettering Width: 5.5 inches (both--fit 5.0-6.0 wide rims) Diameter: 26.20 inches/665 mm (25.50 inches/647 mm for 185/R14C)--Think about adjusting that speedo! Milage warrantee: None Treadwear: n/a--not required for LT tires Traction: n/a--not required for LT tires Temperature: n/a--not required for LT tires Made in USA

My impressions after a two weeks of town/city driving and a 550 mile camping trip (loaded w/four passengers and gear): Despite the fact that I REALLY wanted Michelins, I'm very happy with these tires. Road noise seems good--they're a lot quieter than the badly worn passenger tires that the previous owner had on the Vanagon, but I can hear them a little at 65 MPH. I've been running them at about 46 PSI rear and 42 PSI front; I haven't started experimenting with tire pressure yet. I'll probably run 50 PSI in back, 45 in front. They are stiff in turns, as you'd expect with these specs. They also handle bumps more smoothly than my old tires. Of course, I have little to compare to, having almost no vanagon/light truck tire experience. They're taller than my old tires--so much so that I notice it in the cab, and I love it. All in all, they seem like a very good value for someone concerned about load range who wants to keep the price down (and yes, I believe you get what you pay for). My cost for four weighed, balanced, mounted, including pro-rated (huh? there's no milage warrantee on this tire--gotta look into this...) road hazard coverage and tax, but no rotation package, also alignment not included: $351.58 USD at a locally owned Cooper representitive tire store.

Note: Cooper SRMII Radial LT tires for 195/R14C and 185/R14C have a different tread pattern than the same tires in larger sizes, such as the ones picture on the Cooper web site (http://www.coopertires.com/tire_locator/tiredata.asp?tireID=34). This is the web address for a brand new Cooper web site, BTW, and doesn't list the 195/R14C size for some reason, although I've been assured by a representative that this size is "readily available." The SRM II is described on the web site as having a highway rib pattern and a high-milage compound. Most sizes are of a five-rib design, having something like a center rail, but the 195R14C and 185R14C have a four rib pattern--no center rail, and, to me (FWIW), has more in common with the appearance of tires described as "all season" than "highway rib" (on that note: the sidewalls on my tires indicate they're Mud and Snow rated--"M & S"--I'm not sure if this is true for the larger sizes).

I'm aware that the tire size, by including the letter "C," seems to suggests a six-ply tire. Nonetheless the Load Range printed on the tire is "D," which I always thought indicates eight-ply. To make matters more confusing, the sidewall says "Two ply steel plus two ply polyester tread/Two ply polyester sidewall." Hmmmmm.....I spoke to a representative about this, and I was told the "C" merely indicates a light truck application and "D" implies the load it can safely carry--neither letter automatically indicates the number of sidewall plies.

Disclaimer: This message is not diswasher safe.

-George 83.5 Westy