Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Aug 1999 13:47:14 -0400
From:         Bob Busick <rbusick@DUTKOGROUP.COM>
Subject:      First Jump Into Water (water cooled VDubs that is)!

Although I swore that I'd never do it (you probably know the type...."only real ....air-cooled... Vdubs for me."), I bought a water cooled vanagon And, frankly, the water feels fine!

Three weeks ago I bought an 83 Diesel Westy not really intending to keep it but now I love it. I've been lurking about in virtual vanagonland lately and I see that the lack of pickup with these babies is legendary. However, with the 5 speed tranny I've found that cruising on the open road at 65 - 70 mph is not only doable but is also very comfortable. I've been averaging 34-35 mpg on the open road and 30 mpg in the city. Does that seem about right for the rest of you diesel owners out there? Regardless, that sure beats the heck out of the 17-20 mpg I've been getting with my '79!

I do have a question for the list tent expert(s) ...... this 83 came with a very cool tent that I hope you can ID for me. It's made out of a canvas type material. The awning is sort of a tan color and the three side panels are brown. The main (front) panel has a large plastic picture window in it. All three side panels clip onto the tubular frame with plastic c-shaped clips. The panel bottoms also have rubber loops (used, I guess, to stake the sides down). The tube frame is freestanding (in that you don't need any guy lines to hold it up). The tent was apparently never used as it is like new. It's similar in style to some of the Reimo tents that Steve L. sells but it's not made out of the newer tent materials. Any ideas???

Last question: Are there any special westy diesel sites out there?

Glad to be on the list. I've always enjoyed the Type2 list and you volks seem to have the same spirit.

Bob

'69 westy '79 westy (for sale if Sean B. doesn't buy it) "83 westy diesel