Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Aug 1999 15:59:29 -0400
From:         Howard Bernier <hbernier@MAIL.MC.NET>
Subject:      Electrical: Problem - need Chicagoland mechanic referral

After getting my 2nd 85 GL back from the mechanic (replacing idle stabilizer unit, and rear brake cylinders (and shoes)), my CD player no longer works nor does the rear wiper (they were working fine before I took the van in).

After leaving the court where I work on Friday (13th), I started it from the parking garage, no problem. Realizing that I had forgotten to certify forms for Monday; I parked in front of the courthouse, ran in and did my business and came out to a dead van. The emergency blinkers were going just fine. the interior light were shining brightly etc. However, upon trying to jumpstart the vehicle I noticed that the headlights did not turn on at all and upon trying the ignition there wasn't even a click to the starter.

To make a long story short. The pnly additional factor was my stopping earlier in the day (after paying for the repairs) for a full tank of gas.

In checking Bentley it looks like either a starter solenoid problem ?? I'm going to check all the connections and clean the solenoid connections as possible solutions.

Recommendations ?, failing that, I'm not so sure of my previously good mechanic. I'll refrain from mentioning names as I'm simply trying to get this outstanding 41,000 original mi vehicle going. (PO was meticulous, cover carpeting and as a carpenter he added a number of neat touches a'la Westy to this GL.

Thanks for your time.

regards to all,

Howard Bernier hbernier@mc.net