Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Aug 1999 11:06:17 -0400
From:         Mike Ray <Mike.Ray@AMMOBILE.COM>
Subject:      Wheel studs,  Passat wheels.
Comments: To: John Langowski <langow@wi.net>, Otmar Ebenhoech <Otmar@evcl.com>,
          Chuck Hill <hilltech@netins.net>,
          Mark Gajewski <mgajewski@manvillerubber.com>

Hi all, sorry it took me so long to get back to you all. I was in training for the week and not at my email. I'll address some info you were asking about.

Here's the story...

What I now have on the van....

1.. `98up Steel Passat wheels with centers turned out by "The westyman" Karl. Bought from the Tire Rack. 30 somethin bux ea. 2.. Michelin Agilis 205/65/R15C tires (the Eurovan tire???) from the Tire Rack. 3.. `8mm spacers from Pepboys. about 5 bux each. Basic 5 lug design. Not pretty but they seem to work. 4.. 10 Audi 5000 lug bolts for the front wheels Supplied by a fellow list member a few moths ago (thanks!) 5.. 10 Porsche studs, 52mm I think. Found 9 of them used at the local race shop. He gave me one. I took it home tried it and it worked PERFECT with the 8mm spacers. Didn't have to cut them at all. maybe 2mm of thread sticking out of the nuts. 6.. Aftermarket lug nut from Karl. These have a different crown that look like they are made for a bigger wheel. They fit really nice. The guy (Omar) that owns the local Porsche race shop said they're Porsche nuts. Don't know iffin that's true but he seems to know his stuff. 7.. Cool Mercedes styled wheel covers from the tire rack. Karl suggested them. I like them!

I had to go to the dealer to get the 10th Porsche wheel stud. I brought one in and he matched it up with some help from this really handy Porsche Tech Tip book. I had him Xerox the page that lists all the Porsche studs. If anyone needs a fax of this or would like to put it on their web site, drop me a line and I'll fax it over. Folks were asking about longer studs so here's the low down from the tech sheet....

P/N Length

901 331 671 01 72mm 911 331 671 00 65mm 901 331 671 00 52mm 928 341 671 01 50mm

These are the listed lengths from the end of the thread to just under the head. The threads go all the way to the start of the knurled area.

Side note: Karl used these wheels and caps on his Syncro without the need for spacers. The two wheel drive need the spacers for the front wheels. I used them all the way around just to keep the wheels lined up. Lastly, I didn't try it myself, but it MAY be possible to use the steel Passat wheel without turning out the center IFIFIF you use the spacer. The hub itself is tapered. Karl turned my wheels to fit without the spacer. If you put the wheel on w/o the spacer, they look like they belong there. The spacer puts them out farther where the hub has a smaller dia. than all the way against the brake drum/rotor. I don't remember the original dia. of the center of the Passat wheel so I can't say. Measure before you try.

If I missed anything, Please give me a pmail!

Thanks, Mike Falls Church, VA (land of yuppies and Porsche Race car builders) `87 Westy