Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:49:05 -0400
From:         Éric Giroux <giroux@HYDROMANTIS.COM>
Subject:      a zillion questions (long)

Folks,

So many questions....

I First, a background: I bought my westy recently (early July). A plain 1984 Assuan Brown. Has 260,000, new engine installed at 245,000. I was given with the van a big tent, to which I did not pay a lot of attention (more later). I took it on a fair trip (3,000km) in July, it ran well, except for an exhaust pipe proble towards the end. I got the front and collector pipes replaced with originals.

II I have an aftermarket battery in it. What are the specs of the original battery that came with the van? Was there a difference between the westy and non-westy? I'm asking because lately, it has trouble starting. On first try I can hear what is maybe half-a-rev, and then nothing. I then wait a minute, try again, and it usually goes. Sometimes it requires a third try. It was not like that when I got it. Maybe this is because it sits in the sun all week, and the fridge fan is draining the battery? Just a guess.

II I'm curious: which tires were installed on the van at the factory in 1984? The only tires I found could meet the original specs (load AND pressure AND size) are the Dunlop SP LT5. Are there others currently available?

III The tent: turns out it is an original Westfalia. Was that an option in 84? The tent is in excellent condition, except for one thing: it's missing a pole saction. Do you know where I could get a replacement? Also, I'm a little puzzled as to how to set it up....was there a instuction sheet that came with it (set-up + care)? If so, does anybody have a copy?

IV The (manual) transmission is leaking just a bit. I don't like that. Is is a big job to have the seals replaced? I would like to have this fixed since I want to replace the tranny oil with VW synthetic.

V I'm taking the van in for a complete check-up as outlined at the end of the Bentley manual. I will also have them replace the fuel filter, coolant (with G11), air filter, brake fluid, and spark plugs (with Bosch W7C0, right?). From your experience, anything not listed in the manual that I should have check/done on the van?

Salutations,

Eric

Éric Giroux Aylmer (Québec), CANADA '84 Westy "La Surprise"