Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Aug 1999 11:43:00 -0700
From:         Pete Cassidy <pcassidy@APPLE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dead Vanagon....please help!
Comments: To: Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@PANGEA.CA>

Marshall Ruskin said:

>(I am posting this pmail, without permission, to rapidly help a fellow >Vanagoner-in-trouble, a "VIT") > >There sure are more grounds! > >There is a thick ground between the transmission and the body, and >apparently there is also one from a head to the body too (I think it is to >the body). > >In fact - there quite a few grounds. > >Now, my I have two Bentley's, but one is at work, and the other is 15 >stories beneath me in my van. All the ground locations are listed there - >methinks. > >What I am asking from the group, is that a fellow listee please post all the >common grounds, to help Chris solve his mysterious drivability problem.

Hi Marshall,

The most troublesome which come to mind, and which can stop our vans in their tracks are:

- Ground strap from transmission to chassis. It's a really short one. - Ground strap from battery ground to chassis. The Vanagon one is woefully small - I upgraded mine to a heavy-duty one. - Ground strap from left-hand head to chassis, just beneath the coil on my '88. These can fray and/or work loose. They're kinda thin .. - Spade connector 'farm' behind fuse board. The connectors can get oxidised and can work loose. - Another spade connector 'colony' on the top rear of the left-hand head. There's a stud holding these to the head. On my '81 air-sucker, the stud had worked itself loose. Check the connectors are pressed on tightly & that the stud is tightened down.

That's all I can think of ....

Pete C

-- Peter Cassidy, pcassidy@apple.com '88 Wolfsburg "Muriel" *not speaking for Apple*