Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Aug 1999 16:42:21 -0600
From:         Alfred Bagdan <abagdan@POWERSURFR.COM>
Subject:      Re: hot starting problem
Comments: To: "John Y. Hung" <jhung@ENG.AUBURN.EDU>

John

There are many articles on this problem posted in the archives.

I had the same problem in 1991. Exactly the same symptoms. Spent many dollars replacing parts that were not the cause. What finally solved the problem was to replace the coolant temperature sensor. It also checked out ok when checking. Did you check it hot also?

I discovered a way of starting the van while stalled, I don't know why exactly it worked. While stalled, I started the engine as follows: Unplug coil wire at the distributor. Hold (or lean) open end 1/4 inch from engine block. Turn ignition key for a second or two. Put coil wire back on distributor. Start engine, keep foot on gas for a bit to stop engine from dying until it runs normal again. This worked for my 85 Vanagon. I took 2 years before somebody solved the problem. (It was not a VW shop!)

Good luck

Alfred

----- Original Message ----- From: John Y. Hung <jhung@ENG.AUBURN.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 1999 2:04 PM Subject: hot starting problem