Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:48:06 PDT
From:         James Ruch <jpeterruch@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant Explosion - Followup and Response Summary
Comments: To: rlpa80@EMAIL.SPS.MOT.COM

>From: John-Reed Maffeo <rlpa80@EMAIL.SPS.MOT.COM> >Reply-To: John-Reed Maffeo <rlpa80@EMAIL.SPS.MOT.COM> >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Coolant Explosion - Followup and Response Summary >Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:25:59 -0700 >

> > >More Questions: > >1. Did the excess pressure in the system contribute to headgasket > leaks? >

Good question.

>2. Is anyone else experiencing a problem with the overflow tank > continually running dry? It seems that the cap lets > coolant get sucked out of the overflow tank but not > back in. >

Yes... I replaced the waterpump on my '85 Transporter a year ago and have been dickering with coolant ever since. I've often wondered if I bled the system well enough. The shop manual called for jacking the front of the van up 37 ft. (or something crazy like that) and I made do with something less than that. I have had no trouble with engine temperature but, like you, I have been adding coolant to the overflow tank. The good news is that this problem seems to be "working itself out" of late.

>3. How can one tell if the quantity of coolant in the system > is correct and/or that there are no 'air pockets' in > the system. >

Another good question!

> >Thanks Again, > >John-Reed Maffeo '86 Syncro - Glacie >Mesa, Arizona

J.Peter '85 Transporter Alfred, NY