Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Aug 1999 08:55:57 -0700
From:         Jeff and Deb <jeffndeb@GCI.NET>
Subject:      Re: coolant pipe repair hardware/gaskets

After removing the (2) allen head cap screws from my water pump (that leads to the cooling pipe between the pump and thermostat on my 86 vanagon), I noticed they were coated with a rubbery red product. Also, this same product seems to be used in place of a gasket between the water pump and flange for that same pipe. I was given a grey paperlike gasket for the flange. What was this red stuff that was on the old hardware? I noticed a product that is called locktite at the auto store. Did a previous owner just forgo the gasket, and goop this stuff all over the flange and allen head cap screws, before slapping it together? It held all this time. What do you recomend as a proceedure for installing the new allen head cap screws and gasket? Is this paper gasket really going to hold against all that heat and moisture?

Also, I am having difficulty pulling off the old pipe from the hose that leads into the thermostat. Can I use penetrating oil on this? Is there a better product. Finally what should I use to lubricate the hoses that go onto the pipe at various questions.

Sorry for barrage of installation questions, but I don't have any trusted mechanics around here to consult with.

Thanks, Jeff Hartman Juneau, AK