Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Aug 1999 17:06:22 -0400
From:         "Stanley, Kerry" <kstanley@CAS.ORG>
Subject:      Re: 2 Speed Cooling Fan?

Brian,

My '86 syncro did the exact same thing last summer. No fan then all of a sudden the C-130. This is indicative of the bad resistor behind the headlight. I replaced mine (Bus Depot) and no problem since. The old resistor had cracked ceramic coating and rusted through a winding. This resistor is not shown in my older Bentley. Relatively cheap easy fix.

Kerry '86 syncro 169k kstanley@cas.org

-----Original Message----- From: Brian Doss [mailto:BDOSS24046@AOL.COM] Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 1999 12:53 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: 2 Speed Cooling Fan?

I'm not positive, but I think that an '88 should have a two-speed fan. Is it the ceramic resistor that actually controls the kick-in of the fan? Lately, I think that my fan only kicks on just before the point at which the engine's ready to overheat. When it does, it sounds like a C-130 takin' off! So, I believe that the low-speed setting is being passed up. Sound right? Anyone know how to test? I checked the archives, but did not come up with the two-speed hypothesis, just how to see if the fan works. Also, I changed my thermostat a few months ago, and I have noticed the temperature needle riding higher than before, but, I'm not sure exactly how these two things really affect each other. In other words, I don't see the harm of the engine running at a slightly higher temperature, as a matter of fact, I bet it's a little more efficient that way. But, I would think that the fan would just have to kick on low speed a little more often.