Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:57:59 -0700
From:         Steve@SCHWENK-LAW.COM
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] FW: Syncro Bilstein shocks purchase
Comments: To: Mark McCulley <transporter99@hotmail.com>
Comments: cc: coyote@andromedia.com, syncro@onelist.com, pe@Schwenk-Law.com

Why pay $900 for a set of shocks? That breaks down to $225 a piece...about what the dealer charges for the stock Boges. It's more than double what you can get the Boges for, though. Nevertheless, the increase in performance is well worth it. Also, if you put demands on your suspension, like I did by carrying lots of weight in my syncro westfalia on sometime srough dirt roads, these are actually cheaper than the boges. I went trhough two new sets of boges in 2 years...fronts, that is. The boges are not valved for that kind of weight/use, but are an all-around shock for westies and regular vans alike. The bilsteins, on the other hand, are, and can take it with ease. At if/wehn they wear out, they can be rebuilt at half the cost of new boges.

Performance wise, there is no compairson. Cornering is vastly improved. Side winds are no longer a problem, unless reallly, really severe. The vehicle handles much better, is more stable and predictable. Where the shocks really shine, though, is rough stuff. The rougher, the better. I assume that most syncro owners do at least travel dirt roads. You will smile with amazement over these shocks.

They are a tad on the stiff side on the pavement. It is a firm ride...but a responsive one...in a corner you can feel each shock working through the turn...these are not KYB pogo sticks. Still, I am exploring slightly softer damping for the fronts. The rears are perfect. I want the engineer who designed them to go for a ride with me and see what he thinks he can do...what the trade-offs might be with slightly softer damping. If the shocks were not revalvable, I would be plenty happy with them the way they are...but since they are revalvable, I want to see if i can get them perfect. Hopefully, the second list purchase can take advantage of this R&D and have an option as far as stifer of firmer damping settings.

The people who bought them first time around were my self, Peter Buettner, Michael Sullivan, Carl Hanson and Mark Drillock. Only Peter and I have actually installed them thus far. Peter does not feel the need to experiment as much as me and seems satisified with the shocks as they are.

I am planning to get some custom springs made up aftrer I sort out the damping for the front. I am thinking along the lines of softer damping on the fronts, and then custom front springs (approx. $100 a pair) a little stiffer than stock. Peter and Mark have already ordered custom front springs about 10% stiffer than stock. I am thinking perhaps 5-7% stiffer, but will have to see once those guys get their springs. steve

Mark McCulley wrote: > > From: "Mark McCulley" <transporter99@hotmail.com> > > I'm curious--what is the attraction of these shocks? At$860, they are > certainly not cheap. > > Is it that they are rebuildable? > Is it that they perform better than the OEM Boges? > Is it that they offer a potential increase in ride height? > Is it that they are unique and rare? > > How many list members have tried these? Any testimonials? Are they designed > for ride comfort or performance (there's always some degree of tradeoff > here)? What kind of performance--cornering? light-duty off-road? serious > off-road? > > I'm interested in these shocks but I'm not really sure what I'd be getting > if I purchased a set. > > -Mark McCulley > > >From: Ron Lussier <coyote@andromedia.com> > >Subject: [Syncro] FW: Syncro Bilstein shocks purchase > >Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 12:17:17 -0700 > > > >From: Ron Lussier <coyote@andromedia.com> > > > >Folks, > > > >We're ready to go with the second list purchase of Syncro Bilstein shocks. > >This may be the last chance to get these. > > > >These shocks were custom designed by a Bilstein engineer who had a 16" > >syncro in germany. The rears are off-the-shelf revalved for the Syncro. > >The front shocks are handmade, custom 100% and built in a race shop under > >the supervision of the guy who designed them. They're expensive, but > >they're rebuildable, giving them a nearly unlimited lifespan. They're also > >revalveable, which meeans that they can be valved for your individual ride > >preference. Lastly, they have adjustable spring perches. You can specify > >how high you want the adjustments above stock height. > > > >These are being built in Bilstein's race shop in San Diego, and will be > >drop-shipped to each purchaser. (We're buying them through a third-party > >race shop. Bilstein will not sell them directly for liability reasons.) > > > >BOTTOM LINE: > >Price is $860 a set, 10-12 weeks delivery time, plus $12 shipping. (A set > >consists of 4 shocks.) In order to place this order, I need deposits from > >everyone for $460. An additional $412 will be required when the shocks are > >ready to be delivered. > > > >I also need everyone to give me a set of front Syncro shocks. These don't > >have to be new... in fact, they shouldn't be, since they're only going to > >be > >cut up to use the mount. > > > >HOW TO ORDER: > >I'll be coordinating this. Please send the cashier's check *** along with > >one front pair of stock Syncro shocks ***, to: > > > > Ron Lussier > > c/o Andromedia > > 818 Mission St. 2nd Floor > > San Francisco, CA 94103 > > > >*** Note that the cashier's check should be written to > > Ron Lussier, NOT Andromedia *** > > > >If you live in California, I'll need an out-of-state delivery address for > >you so that the race shop placing this order doesn't have to collect sales > >tax. If you don't have one handy, I'll have your shocks sent with mine and > >I'll take care of redistributing them in California. > > > >Any questions, please drop me an email. I'm plan on sending this order in > >on Friday September 10th. > > > >Coyote > >-- /\_/\ ____ > >Ron 'Coyote' Lussier ( ) \ _/__ Andromedia, Inc. > >coyote@andromedia.com \ / \X / 818 Mission St. > >1.415.365.6467 \_/ \/ San Francisco, CA 94103 > > > >--------------------------- ONElist Sponsor ---------------------------- > > > >ATTN ONELIST USERS: stay current on the latest activities, > >programs, & features at ONElist by joining our member newsletter at > ><a href=" http://clickme.onelist.com/ad/newsletter4 ">Click Here</a> > > > >------------------------------------------------------------------------ > > --------------------------- ONElist Sponsor ---------------------------- > > ONElist: the best place to EXPLORE topics, SHARE ideas, and > CONNECT to people with the same interests. > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------