Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Aug 1999 13:23:41 -0400
From:         Steve Elfelt <steveelf@SPRYNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Carying 4x8' sheets of plywood

Since I have a camper, Alfred's solution of carrying full sheets inside doesn't work. Instead I carry them on top (no pop top). You can get inexpensive foam blocks from a fishing/boating shop made for carrying canoes. They are roughly 4x4x6 inches with a groove in one side. These are VERY handy items. I use them in my cupboards for keeping stuff from sliding, as stands and supports for projects (like cutting plywood) etc. Anyway, when I want to carry stuff on top I put one roughly in each corner with the grooves going across. Then a 2x2 goes across in front and another in back, each end lying in the groove of a block, and sticking out a bit on the outside. If your plywood is thick, you're done. If it flexes and sags, a couple 1x2's down the sides of this thing work fine. You do need to be good with knots for tying down the load, and be careful to pad the rope where it goes over edges that might cut the rope when it starts vibrating as you go down the road. Be sure to tie down the front end, too, to keep the whole thing from peeling off backwards. With care, this contraption also works, and the possible load can be more than 4" thick, but you do have to worry about total WEIGHT so as to not dent the roof.

Steve

[text/html]