Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Aug 1999 18:33:20 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: unlevel fridge operation
Comments: To: Brent Christensen <bpchristensen@MINDSPRING.COM>

At 14:05 8/22/99 -0700, Brent Christensen wrote: >Anyone know what is considered too far off-level for proper fridge >operation?

The RM182B manual doesn't say. The Camper manual says +/- 8 degrees both axes. Most modern Norcold are +/- 3 degrees, some are 3 one axis and 6 the other.

> I used to have a fridge that ran GREAT but now won't cool below >55 on propane (gets down to 30 in no time on 110, though). I'm wondering if >its because I have been *slightly* unlevel the last couple of times I've >used it.

Nope. The problem that can arise from running out of level is that the boiler runs out of water and the anticorrosive powder in the system bakes hard onto the boiler wall. It should affect all modes of operation equally. If the thing works fine on 110, then the reefer itself is fine and you need to look at what's wrong with the flame. Clogged orifice might be my first guess, given what was going on when it broke -- unless maybe you pranged the regulator on a rock? Tough to do without noticing...

NB -- you can operate at any reasonable angle while driving, as all the stuff gets sloshed around inside the system and won't settle in the wrong places. I imagine it also doesn't work as efficiently while this is going on.

>Also, as a side note, anyone know anything definitive about this threat of >"ruining" your fridge if you operate it on a steep hill? (I usually drive >around with the propane running when camping - it's easier and more >reliable, er, used to be).

see above.

>Looks like I'll be pulling the fridge out this afternoon to check for debris >in the combustions chamber and vents, etc. What about "burping" it?

Dometic specifies "burping," i.e. inverting the unit several times, in the case that it has been overheated, usually by off-level operation. It can do no harm. In all cases they specify to tilt the unit back, forward, and to each side immediately before installation; they say it will ensure that cooling starts as promptly as may be.

To clean the orifice, soak in alcohol and blow out with compressed air.

david

David Beierl - Providence, RI '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"