Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Aug 1999 21:41:47 -0700
From:         Brent Christensen <bpchristensen@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Refrigerator repair 101 (Long)

Just finished three days of fiddling with my fridge and I wanted to forward a report to the list, for the benefit of those who are putting off fridge repairs because it seems too daunting - its not, really!

My problem (as posted last week) was that my fridge was working great on 110 and (more or less) 12v. the problem was that propane would not cool it below about 55 degrees or so, regardless of outside temp. My goal was to accomplish three things: 1. "Burp" the fridge 2. Check the orifice (jet) that meters the flow of fuel into the combustion chamber, and look for other tell-tale signs of problems. 3. Replace the NOISY dometic fan unit (it kept me awake while camping last weekend!)

Pulling the fridge out is a piece of cake in later model Westy (I don't know about pre-'86). The nicest thing about doing it is that you get to pull out all the shelving and clean out the accumulated grime in normally inaccessible areas. I highly recommend a cordless screwdriver, though, as some of the screws are awkward to get at and are long.

Once I pulled out the fridge, I pulled apart the combustion chamber and found that it looked brand new - no problems that were obvious. I blew out the little bit of rusty powder accumulated there, and realized something VERY SIGNIFICANT. You know that silly pump that you have to jam back and forth like a madman (madwoman) while lighting your fridge? Well, it is just trying to flood the combustion chamber with fresh air. Wanna know a REAL EASY WAY to do this instead? Just blow air into the little drain tube that comes out under the fridge. The air will go into the exact same spot - and you won't even have to work up a sweat. I'm planning to get a bit of surgical tubing to carry for just that purpose when I can't get the fridge to light!

Well, back to the story - So I inverted the fridge overnight, then set about replacing the fan with a Fridgemate unit that I go at a local RV supply place. ($40 US). It came with a 90 degree thermo switch attached to it, but I used the stock one instead. I reversed the polarity to the motor, then flipped it upside down (honest, it was quieter and blew more air that way!), then mounted it to the stock location after changing the bend in the bracket to bring it in tighter to the back of the fridge. I wired it to the original thermo switch.

Now the neat stuff: I bought two tiny black panel-mount switches from Radio Shack, which I mounted on the fridge face place right where the Dometic label is (to the right of the gas knob). They fit perfect, and I figure it was the best place to drill two 1/2" holes if I wanted to someday return to "stock". One of these switches I wired to the original (noisy but working well) Dometic fan via the same thermo-switch. Then I mounted it just above the lower two coils, off-set from the Fridgemate unit by about 1/2". This way, I can kick on the extra fan if I am parked in the sun on a hot day, but then turn it off at night and get some sleep (while the much quieter Fridgemate handles primary duties).

The second switch is wired to a pair of 12v leads that I dropped into the fridge through a 1/4" hole drilled through the top left corner. These leads are wired to a CPU fan than I zip-tied to the top side of the evaporator (bottom would get wet from condensation). It makes a comforting whining noise like there is an old 486 inside the fridge. <g> This provides enough turbulence to move air around inside the fridge, but doesn't hog up *any* usable space inside. (I know, I know, you're not supposed to pack the fridge).

Then I went back to fiddling with the orifice and burner assembly, since I wasn't satisfied that I had tracked down the problem. I completely disassembled the unit, including removing the pilot and piezo igniter, and pulling out the actual burner. Inside the burner, I found what must have been the culprit - the charred, skeletonized remains of a small chitinous grub or caterpillar! It was about 1/4" long and about 1/8" in diameter. It must have climbed down a vent tube and made a nice comfy home in there until one day he heard a click-click-click and then Va-Whoom! as he departed for a new life...

So, I soaked the orifice in alcohol, then blew it out with compressed air and then buttoned everything back up. Installation was a breeze. I have read several posts from people who say that getting the fridge back in is a major PITA because of the vent tubes. In my '89 it was a piece of cake - slipped right into place by putting fridge in at an angle (tilted slightly back) then sliding in to clear the underside of the stove, the bringing it upright while simultaneously pushing back. The first time I slid it into place, I went outside, and the screw holes in the vent covers were actually already lined up!

I had to subsequently pull it out twice more and reinstall it - the third time I accidentally caught the vent tubes on the underside of the stove and they got *slightly* bent. This made it considerably more difficult to line everything up. (Required a few times jumping out and running around outside to check the fit). The caveat is to be *careful* when sliding it in as to not change the bend in the vent tubes if at all possible. This makes for a much easier installation. (BTW the second R & R was due to a short caused by the fan motor terminal contacting the mounting bracket; the third R & R was due to Chinese food. - I was interrupted by the delivery, and forgot to put a tin plate in place that covers the junction box at the top of the fridge - duh!)

All in all, it was one of the more satisfying repairs I have done. Plenty of room to work, your hands don't get greasy, and it is really pretty easy! If any one has questions, please feel free to e-mail me. The fridge has been running for about an hour now, so I don't know if I was successful, but the evaporator is getting cold!

Cheers,

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy "Klaus" Santa Barbara, CA