Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Aug 1999 22:13:25 PDT
From:         Tony Peet <tpvw@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Tail lights 'n gators (vent)

God I HATE tailgaters and it seems there are more of them than not these days! It's a really agressive and stupid thing to do. I feel like the biggest morons can put me and others at risk.......and a bunch of them STILL DO IT IN HEAVILY RAINY/FOGGY CONDITIONS!!!

I saw a button that said "Ghandi would have smacked you." THAT'S how I feel about tailgaters.

Depending on the circumstances, I do one of several things.

I always slow down to increase the distance between me and the car in FRONT of me...so if something happens, I'll have lots of extra cushion and maybe even the moron will react in time to avoid an accident. Sometimes this will actually cause the tailgater to wake up and realize we're not all racing anyway...I count to at least "one-one-thousand, two-one-thousand, three-one-thousand' distance between me and the vehicle ahead.

Sometimes I will pump the brakes (brakelights) to get their attention. Often they'll back off, but usually drift up again. I've also noticed that this is not good to do if I'm getting pissed, 'cause I've started slowing too agressively a couple of times.

Sometimes I'll flip up the rear view mirror (to 'night') so that at least I don't get all cooked up seeing him back there.

Sometimes I'll just pull over and let him go by.

Sometimes I deal with it in therapy...

....And sometimes I will just start gesturing wildly like maybe I will go postal on them or something. This always works, except for the true psychos who just smile and tailgate even more!

This is all crazy of course; and this is the USA, 1999........

Thanks for listening.

Tony '91 Syncro Westy ('Teepee')