Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Aug 1999 03:34:16 -0300
From:         Sean O'Neil <soneil@NS.SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      84 Westy Angst - keep or sell?

Here's the straight goods:

84 Westy, 1.9L, automatic, 165,000 km., Assuan Brown

Screen in poptop is rotted to replacement stage.

Needs two new outside mirrors.

Poptop has a 3.5" crack on the flat surface just behind the driver, Now covered with with duct tape - but that sure won't hold for winter in this part of the world.

Poptop skylight lift mechanism is shot but I'm willing to fix this myself per archive instuctions.

Allmost all of the interior panels have punctures, or Mactac covering the punctures.I would like to replace these with a nice light plywood paneling. Any suggestions?

Will be replacing the two front Continental Conti's with Michelin MXL's (load range D) to match the back for the winter,

The damn front blower motor for defrosting the windshield is seized. I may try this myself a la Bently.

Brown enamel paint on the stove front is coming off in big flakes. Again, no big deal, I'll try to fix this myself. The fridge runs well on all three modes.

No problems from engine & transmission (including heads). It actually runs very strong but I do have the coolant flushed every 2nd year and replace the oil (20W50) every 3000K.

Although I bought it at a good price about 5 years ago (approx $4500 Can) and could sell it locally, where these vans are very scarce, for about $7000 Can. I find I am loathe to part with it. It represents freedom. However, my wife and I are heavily involved in the craft business (specifically making period shoe and boots for locally produced television, movie, theatre, and historical recreationist markets) and can't find the time to do any camping during the peak season.

Here's the real rub: I don't have a driveway to work on the van. I am disabled, which means that I can do some things but not all, Dropping the engine or transmission for work is a pipe drean. So I end up spending approx. $1000 Can. a year on repairs.

Am I a rube? I spend a thousand dollars per year because I can't do a lot of my own work ( not the fault of the disability. I Want Jackstands and a hard surface to roll around on under the van.)

This beast is a daily driver now due to financial hard times but I am a little worried that it's going to let us down in the middle of winter.

If you were me, and I'm glad you're not, would you keep on driving the beast ot trade it in on some nameless and faceless beast that alows for no wanderlust, no satisfaction regarding self sufficiency, no character?

Sorry to be so long-winded. It's very late where I am and I just felt the need to talk to fellow vanagoneers

[text/x-vcard]

begin:vcard n:O'Neil;Sean tel;work:(902) 425-3607 x-mozilla-html:TRUE adr:;;;Halifax;Nova Scotia;;Canada, eh! version:2.1 email;internet:soneil@ns.sympatico.ca fn:Sean O'Neil end:vcard