Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:51:54 -0700
From:         Madeline Mullen/Ed Lowe <maded@GTE.NET>
Subject:      Carry an outboard & 1.9ltr conversion
Comments: To: "Audi-VW-Diesels@onelist.com" <Audi-VW-Diesels@onelist.com>,
          vanagon list vanagon list <vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Greetings from Seattle:

My wife just returned from a 300 mile trip in our 82 Westy diesel. She had a great time camping but complained about chugging along with the 4 way flashers at 30 mph in the mountains hauling our daughter, two other adults, water and 50# of Zodiac and 40# of outboard motor. I remarked about how enjoyable it was to be able to really appreciate the scenery but she insisted I ask the lists about anyone who has ACTUALLY completed a 1.9ltr normal or turbo conversion.

I am really interested in this conversion and would like to begin it soon if engine, mounts and instructions are available. I'd like to speak on the phone with someone who has done it and discuss the realities of the project. Finally, it would be preferable to have it done, or work with someone (in the Seattle or Northwest), and of course, costs must be reasonable.

Also, has anyone on the lists considered how to carry a folded up Zodiac and outboard motor? Carrying the boat in the cabin takes up a lot of room but it can be carried safely on the rear deck, over the engine. The outboard in the cabin seems unsafe in any way; it would become a deadly missile in the case of a roll-over or collision. How about one of those shelf's that attaches to a trailer hitch? The motor could be secured to the shelf, locked under a tarp. But that would mean getting a hitch, moving the license plate, and limit access to the hatch- a problem in case of engine trouble. Perhaps a shelf or cradle could be rigged to the front bumper- would that cause overheating due to disturbing airflow to the radiator? Comments, suggestions?

I asked the Vanagon list about this before and got a couple of good suggestions but no comments from any one who actually used the ideas. Maybe someone has tried something by now. Please reply direct- I've had to leave the Vanagon list due to mail volume.

TIA

Edward Lowe 82 Westy Diesel 85 Golf Diesel 92 Cabrio