Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Aug 1999 08:15:44 EDT
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Diesel group purchase looking? Not Bill Gates--
Comments: To: firestream@mindspring.com

The problem with Bill's car was that there were only a very small number of these made in the world (I think 5 or 10) and they cost $500,000 each. When he brought this one over the US DOT said we have no crash test data on this car we need to perform a crash test on it and then we can allow you to register it :) So you see the catch 22 he was in. Probably wasn't another car available for him to buy as a crash tester and also who wants to crash test a $500,000 car. I'm surprized Bill didn't just get some serious simulation program written up that was so good that they didn't have to crash test it (coming in the future I am sure).

As for what we are doing, the vans were sold over here at the same time so I am pretty hopeful that the crash test data we already have on these would be sufficient. Ken Wilford Van-Again John 3:16