Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Aug 1999 07:34:51 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Need Vacuum hose connector part
Comments: To: Donald Baxter <donald.baxter@TRANSCORE.COM>

Hi there,

This part can be replaced by being a bit creative among the brass fittings at Home Depot.

I looked for the same part at Camelback VW, which is not far from my home, and after a while of searching, we found it on their fiche. Bad news was that the stupid little piece of plastic was over $20. Figured if I had to I would, but went and checked the brass tubing fittings area at Home Depot and, sure enough, found parts to work.

The larger hose is 12 mm (1/2 inch) and the smaller is, I believe, about 6mm (1/4 inch). You'll want to bring both with you so you can actually try the fit (in other words, don't trust my memory on this!).

I found a fitting which was 1/2" on one end and somewhat smaller than I needed on the other, so I bought (or actually they gave me) a 1 inch length of clear plastic hose to fit over the small end. One end or the other, or maybe both are threaded, but that doesn't seem to matter.

This was a slip fit and worked pretty well, but there were no barbs to hold the assembly in place so I used a hose clamp on each end. This has been working for over 200K miles.

If you need a photo of this, let me know, but it will take a little while.

Good luck,

Karl Wolz

----- Original Message ----- From: Donald Baxter <donald.baxter@TRANSCORE.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 1999 6:56 AM Subject: Need Vacuum hose connector part