Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Aug 1999 15:35:52 -0700
From:         Steve Macaulay <smacaulay@INFINTIUM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hella Driving Lights for a 1991 GL
Comments: To: dave <dave@SPARKPLUG.COM>

> Hi Folks, > > I am looking into adding Hella (or a similar type) driving lights to the > front of my 1991 GL. I love the idea of illumiating the road 20 > miles ahead > of me! > > I have seen a few 1991's with fiberglass bumpers that have lights on the > front. I've wondered, are there any issues I need to be aware of > in order to > be able to sucessfully install these kind of lights to by Van. > > - Is there an ideal mounting position? (feel free to pass on fotos or > diagrams to me if you like). I have seen some that are both very tight, > close together mounted in the center of the bumper, and I have seen some > that are spaced out, one light below each head lamp. > > - Are there any issues with mounting lights on the kinds of bumpers that > 1991 Vanagons's have? (I think it is fiberglass). Tips or tricks? > > - Recommended brands? Preferences? >

Hi Dave,

Unless you do most of your driving on long roads with little traffic, rather than add a set of driving lights (usually only used legally in conjuction with your normal high beam lights), I would suggest you add a set of low-beam Hella XL auxillary lights instead. In my opinion, the current stock Hella high-beam lights are plenty adequate for high-beam situations. The current stock low-beam Hella lights for US-spec vanagons are pretty weak though. That's where the Hella XLs come into play. They are street legal low-beam only lights that you can use all of the time and they make a noticeable difference in the amount of available low beam light. Their ad claims 100% better light distribution than normal low beam lights. This link describes them and has a diagram of the "improved" lighting http://www.macneilauto.com/Hella.htm ). I added a set to my van and I saw the type of improvement and beam pattern described in this ad. A lot more light close in and on the sides and a good bit more out in front. The Hella XLs are turned off when you switch the high beam on. I bought a set from Savanna Jones (Jeep specialty shop) on two occasions and both times they arrived within a week ( http://www.savannajones.com/hella1.htm ). I paid $120 for them. Most places sell these for $150 - $225. However, I found out since then that this shop is having a sale on them and they are about $25 cheaper ($95) from here ( http://www.susquehanna.com/susq/hella/fog.htm ).

I ended up getting a VW factory fog light switch from a dealer and used it instead of the switch supplied with the light. It fits in the open slot to the bottom right of your dash. It's a three way switch and one day I'll add a rear fog light for the third position. This switch provides a nice stock look.

As far as mounting them is concerned, you have two options supplied with the Hella lights. The first time I took off the spoiler and bumper and drilled a single hole in the bumper. I used the single bolt mounting technique described in the instructions and it held on strong. A picture of this single bolt bracket is on the Macneilauto link from above. My front end was messed up pretty bad in a hit-and-run accident so the second time when I installed a new set on a new bumper I decided to use the Hella Molly-mount system that comes with the lights. It is designed for restricted access areas and you don't have to take the bumper off. You drill two holes per light and place the supplied thing-a-ma-jigs in the holes. I forget what they are called, but they are those things which collapse and lock into place when you put a screw in it and turn. I wasn't as pleased with this setup though. It was easier to install since you didn't have to take the bumper off, but the single bolt locked it in place much stronger and I now have a little play in the lights that I used the molly-mount on. It doesn't affect the performance of the lights, however, I might have some shaking in it if I took it out on a bumpy road at night.

As far as the position is concerned, I placed the second set below the headlights between the turn signal and radiator grill. The first set I had closer together, but I realized after the fact that this restricted access to the lower radiator grill.

I hope this helps. If you search the archives for my name or Hella XL, you will find some other info I posted on this back when I added my first set.

Let me know if you have some more questions.

Steve

89 Westy