Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Aug 1999 13:46:29 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>
Subject:      Re: Subaru was: 2.1l engine for sale too $900.

I have to second what Ken says.

I seriously considered this conversion and ordered Kennedy's wiring harness diagram for $20 to get an idea of what is involved in modifying one.

Geez, this is good documentation (a six foot full size layout chart) but what a job of unwrapping, cutting, removing, measuring, splicing, taping etc. some 60 wires, not to mention the difficulty of extracting the harness from the donor car! Expect to spend several hours (days) on this part alone.

You will definitely have a test car, and you better be a dedicated hobbyist with lots of time to put this together and maintain it.

With all the used 2.1's that pop up on the list for under $1000 I think I'll just buy one of these each time mine fails! It would be cheaper than fixing it!

P.S., if anyone wants this diagram you can have it for $15 and I'll pay the postage. (Maybe I should loan it out for $5.00 with a $20 deposit; I don't think many will want to go this route once you have seen this, and I may be doing the list members considering this conversion a service!)

KENWILFY@AOL.COM wrote: > > Anyway the Subaru swap sounds really good when you talk to the folks at > Kennedy Engineering about it and the price for thier kit, and the parts looks > good. However, as I found with my 5-cylinder kits, no conversion is cheap. > It is either costs money or it costs time (time= money for those of you who > don't know). In the guy that I spoke with case it cost him lots and lots of > time. He got a motor for around $1000 and he said the wiring harness was a > nightmare. The whole thing took him several months and finally he had to > take it to a local Subaru shop to get it running. Then he had a problem with > some coolant lines catching fire. > > All in all when you do a swap like this you are on your own. You get the kit > and some sketchy instructions from Kennedy (some things aren't included in > the instructions) but you are essentially a test case. You turn your van > into a test vehicle. You experiment around with what coolant hoses to use, > where to route them, how to route your wiring harness, your intake setup, > everything.

-- Stuart MacMillan Manager, Case Program 800-909-8244 ext 208

Getting your share of the Net yet? http://www.cobaltgroup.com http://www.casedealer.com/demo http://www.caseihdealer.com/demo