Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:15:57 -0400
From:         "Karl F. Bloss" <bloss@ENTER.NET>
Subject:      The poptop project, stage 1 (long)

Here are some pics from stage one of the poptop conversion process:

http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/poptop/

Stage one is just getting the thing from the junkyard to our place and dismantling the components for cleanup and reassembly.

So far, we got the junkyard to cut the roof of the donor van at the pillars all the way around and lift it with a forklift onto our roof rack (Thule bars) and previously installed luggage rack. The yard gave us some tires to buffer the load a bit. Some of my neighbors just thought I popped the top rather than having a whole second roof up there.

The state of the roof is pretty decent with the fiberglass and remaining body metal in excellent shape (no rust) and it's the same color as our van (pastel white). The luggage rack has a gouge in one side, so I tried fixing it with Bondo. We'll see how that turns out (setting now), but we have our luggage rack installed already anyway. It will just have to be painted to match the poptop.

The canvas is pretty much shot with molded sections ripped all the way through. I have a used one coming in which I will probably get my sister to install side screens before it's reattached to the top.

The bed is in excellent shape, including the cushions.

The skylight had already been taken by the junkyard, so someone siliconed a piece of fiberglas in the hole to prevent water from coming in. I chipped all that out and will probably get an entire skylight assembly from one of our list.vendors. Quotes for the entire assembly (skylight, gaskets, hardware, screens, etc.) appreciated. :-)

After we got the roof up there, the first dilemna was how to get it back down. This was my project for Saturday. Turns out that sucker is HEAVY. The most logical method was to disassemble it as far as possible right on the roof. Out came the step ladder and I pulled off the luggage rack (had to kill a few wasps nesting under there first). Next I popped the top (now THAT looked funny...too bad my digital camera batteries had just died), removed the rail that holds down the canvas, then dismembered the poptop hardware and took the poptop off the van with the help of a neighbor.

The rest of the hardware (hinges, poptop lock, bed) came out and I lifted the metal roof skeleton off with the help of 3 other neighbors. It was still pretty darned heavy.

In the few hours I had today, I pulled the poptop seal off all the way around. I figure it's easier to do it now with the poptop on the ground. I also pulled the canvas off the top since I had only removed it from the body side yesterday. I had heard horror stories of hundreds of staples. Either these stories were exaggerated or something is different on this top, but I pulled exactly 8 staples (1 on each corner, 1 in the middle of each side).

Next came cleaning the mildew and this will take some more time, hopefully involving my better half who also will make use of this new top. :-)

The real fun of separating the metal halves (inner and outer) of the metal roof by drilling out the spotwelds is yet to begin. After that's done, I think it will become self-evident what will have to be welded and how big of a hole needs to be cut in our roof.

BTW, if anyone else is thinking of doing this project, Chris Turner in Allentown, PA (jordanvw@aol.com) has a complete roof with poptop just like I got, but a different color. I decided to go for the white van because of the color match.

-Karl