Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Aug 1999 07:45:56 -0500
From:         Matt Brickell <bricknord@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      slight driveline shudder

As some of you who have helped me out with advice so far :>) may recall, I am a new Vanagon owner and am in the process of becoming acquainted with the vehicle and its quirks. The vehicle is an 84 Westy with 1.9 stock WB with auto transmission, 120k miles in very good condition. The PO ( my dad ) had the heads/gaskets redone around 80K. The thing that brings me to you today involves a strange vibration. Under acceleration at around 40-50 mph I can feel a fairly minor but disturbing shudder through the van. It does not seem to matter whether it is under hard or casual acceleration ( well, okay, same thing in a Westy! ) and it only occurs at this certain speed range. It does not seem to occur while coasting at this speed, only when under load, but again it occurs same whether pulling hard or pulling easy at the same level. At highway speeds it is smooth as can be with no problems, same at lower speeds. There is no loss of power, missing etc seemingly from the engine. I am fairly sure it is not tires due to disappearance at coast. I am thinking either one cylinder is off from the rest somehow or a CV joint problem or auto trans issue?? If anyone has any light to shed on this one I would certainly appreciate it!

BTW, what sort of activites will be occurring at the BBTA event? Does anyone have a schedule or anything like that? I have to work that Sat but could venture out that night or Sun AM if it sounded enticing enough ( never been to this kind of thing--newbie )

Thanx all!

Matt Brickell 83 Jetta T-D 86 Jetta D 84 Vanagon Westy Gas Olathe, KS