Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:39:26 -0500
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker@URONRAMP.NET>
Subject:      Re: Hella Driving Lights for a 1991 GL
Comments: To: dave <dave@SPARKPLUG.COM>

> I am looking into adding Hella (or a similar type) driving lights to the > front of my 1991 GL. I love the idea of illumiating the road 20 miles ahead > of me!

ok, if you REALLY want lights, consider the Cibie Oscar+ driving and pencil beam lights. :) the driving lights have a range of only 6000 feet, but the pencil beam's range is over 9000 feet. :) yes, i really can see the next mile marker as i drive past each marker.

downside: cost. Cibie's are hideously expensive right now, but there's a guy (larry cohen) at http://www.seriousauto.com who was selling some at cheap prices ... $180/pair of lights. no kit, not relay, just the lights. these puppies are 7" in diameter and about 4" thick, front to back. if you had the round headlights of the 1980-1985 vanagons, these are the same size as your headlights. :)

i have four this size on my fibreglass bumper. if you go to the vanagon photo page, and look at my name, you can see the front of my bus is the small photo. the two outermost lights are fog lights ... they only go out to 700 feet. :) which is about the same as regular low beam headlights.

> I have seen a few 1991's with fiberglass bumpers that have lights on the > front. I've wondered, are there any issues I need to be aware of in order to > be able to sucessfully install these kind of lights to by Van.

1. don't block any more of the radiator than you have to. i put mine over at the outer edges of the radiator. 2. reinforce the bumper plastic, above and below, with large-diameter washers. i even added some 1/8" thick sheet aluminum on the underside of the top of the bumper (epoxied it on) to keep the lights from pulling through the plastic of the bumper. 3. there are holes in the bumper support that are perfect for routing wires. if you take the bumper off, you can see these. 4. each light needs a 10 amp fuse. 5. i used a separate relay for each light, but i think one relay can handle both lights in a pair. 6. driving lights on the bumper aren't the best place. :( better would be the south african headlight grill, with 7" round headlights and 5" round driving lights, all up in the normal headlight grill. trouble is, if you have the 86-91 rectangular headlights, you have to swap out all the headlights for the old 80-85 round headlights. :( but the higher the driving lights, the greater range and visibility you'll have with them. 7. i put one driving light and one pencil beam on my bus. the pencil beam is on the passenger side and shines down the shoulder of the road. the driving light is on the driver's side, and shines straight down the lane/road (not over into the other oncoming lane, though ... well, not any more than i could get it). this way, it REALLY lights up any reflective stuff like bridges or signs or markers. 8. use big wire. like 12 gauge. and run a separate ground wire from each light back to the battery negative terminal (where the battery ground strap bolts to the bus's body). this will give you the most voltage at the light, and make it as bright as it's gonna get. 9. never never never never touch the bulbs (inside the light) with your bare fingers. not the glass part, anyway. the oil from your fingers will create a hot spot and the bulb will break. :(

and while you are lighting up the road in front, don't forget to do the same at the rear: a rectangular good-quality fog light makes a wonderful backup light, when placed on the rear bumper on the passenger side, between the tag and the taillight. you can actually SEE at night to back up in the woods!! :) i didn't want mine coming on all the time in daylight, when i shifted into reverse, so i just wired in a separate switch on the dash for it.

hope it helps. joel