Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Sep 1999 11:10:24 -0400
From:         Scott Walker <s_walker@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: which cabriolet? (no vanagon content)
Comments: To: Caston/Payne <happycampers@PICUSNET.COM>

Since you are saying Cabriolet and under 3K, we can ignore the Cabrio (many people confuse the two) I will attempt a summary of the major changes, I'm sure I'll miss some.

'80 First year, early style dash, points ignition,1.6

'81 Electronic ignition, different dash, 1.7

'82 slight change to top frame

'83 newer much improved style vent windows

'84 transition year! 1.8, close ratio tranny, 100 mm CVs, space saver spare are all introduced

'85 name change to Cabriolet from Rabbit Convertible

'88 factory wide body kit, 4 round headlights

'90 Digifant II fuel injection

'92 last year of production

Some where around '83/'84 power steering became available and later models had froo froo options like power windows and locks. Final production had air bags. My recommendation? Anything from late '84 up. The 1.7 was designed for the American market and is worse than the 1.6 it replaced. Tops are very complicated and expensive to replace. Later model trannies are not as sturdy as earlier, but rebuilds aren't bad.

Scott

ps this car was rated by Playboy for several years as the best car to buy your wife/girlfriend!