Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Sep 1999 10:29:02 -0700
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: Pop Top Sports Rack
Comments: To: "Alan J. Flint" <ajflint@ITSA.UCSF.EDU>

Alan, I've been looking at the various rack options. What I found was not only are the Yakima extended (with about 3 1/2 inch extension blocks sold by Yakima) rain gutter towers too low for the Westy pop top, they don't seem to clear the sides either... unless you can alter their mounting angle somehow. Thule makes three sizes of rain gutter towers... the tallest will clear the fiberglass top both for height and at the side. Roy claims it is possible to mount these at the very back of the rain gutter and above the luggage rack such that the top can be popped without removing them. But the problem for my need is that spacing is too wide for my sea kayaks... they are ideally supported at the internal bulkheads which add support to the hull. That spacing may work for a canoe or a double sea kayak since they are longer. My choice is to go with the Thule fake rain gutters. I'm a big Yakima fan, but the angle of the Thule mounts allow the fake rain gutters and thus the bars and thus the kayak to be mounted lower... (about 2 inches compared to the standard Yakima fake rain gutter and 1 inch compared to the Yakima wide mount rain gutter). I'm a short guy and the van is tall.... two inches can mean a lot when lifting a heavy kayak that far up. Also need the clearance for my garage door. Bill 90 Westy Syncro -----Original Message----- From: Alan J. Flint <ajflint@ITSA.UCSF.EDU> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Thursday, September 02, 1999 9:13 AM Subject: Re: Pop Top Sports Rack