Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Sep 1999 15:56:16 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: New York State Motor Smoker Law
Comments: To: Tonya Pope <Tonya@TEAM-M.COM>

At 15:06 9/2/99 , Tonya Pope wrote: >No - lousy drivers are. They were around long before cell phones. Its >just the current thing to blame. There are many distractions available

Disagree -- people have intense and highly distracting conversations on cell phones. They can also do this with other people in the car, but with the phone there's an additional concentration of effort to understand, and further distraction b/c in the absence of the physical person, some (probably unconscious, but it still steals CPU cycles) effort is being made to visualize the person on the other end. There is no need to turn the head sideways to look the other in the face, just let your eyes go blank from the inside....

I have made a number of cell phone calls from a cruising sailboat, and almost ran aground once through lack of attention -- motoring on a clear day through a narrow spot that I was quite familiar with. I was about 200 yards to the right of where I should have been. OTOH I've made three such calls while driving, and was astounded at the effort required to manipulate the phone and drive at the same time. I strongly believe that it is irresponsible and dangerous to use cell phones while driving, and I am willing to bet that there will be liability suits in the near future which will drive this home.

Steve, any opinions?

david David Beierl - Providence, RI '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"