Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Sep 1999 14:48:41 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>
Subject:      Re: Subaru Swap (plus corrosion inhibitor)
Comments: To: Jim Huskins <lostranger@MINDSPRING.COM>

I am doing the same, I bought a guaranteed rebuildable core for $450, they are hard to find. Now I think I would buy one of the good used engines on the list for $1000 or less and just put it in and run with it.

I have not done it yet, but I know you need to use the 1.9 water pump and t-stat housing. Also, the 2.1 comes with an oil cooler between the filter and the case, and I don't see any way to use this with the earlier exhaust and plumbing, but some list members seem to think you can. Even if it does fit, which I doubt, it would be very difficult to plumb in to the cooling system.

I have rejected all the conversions too, too expensive, too much time, and too much work. Doing three would kill you, even the conversion fans have not done that many!

I may just keep buying used 2.1 engines for 1/3 the cost of a rebuild and never rebuild one!

As far as keeping them sealed, I use a product called No Rosion (They finally are on the Web at: http://www.kars.com/showcase/no-rosion/) which is a corrosion inhibitor for cooling systems, along with the VW coolant. I have 100,000 miles now on the last head replacement and am still fine. I also have heard adding a ground wire from the right head to the grounding point with all the wires on it on the left side can help eliminate electrolytic corrosion. I have done this, but I think the No Rosion will work based on its chemistry (pH buffering plus inhibitors.)

-- Stuart MacMillan Manager, Case Program 800-909-8244 ext 208

Getting your share of the Net yet? http://www.cobaltgroup.com http://www.casedealer.com/demo http://www.caseihdealer.com/demo