Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Sep 1999 20:58:46 PDT
From:         vwvanman@EXCITE.COM
Subject:      Re: Rebuilt Waterboxer Longevity?(Please read)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

>I have been wondering alot lately about the longevity of >the rebuilt >waterboxer. I mean it seems like a rebuilt waterboxer >should last as long as >the original engine right? However lately I have seen >alot of evidence to >the contrary. So I would ask anyone on the list who has a >rebuilt waterboxer >engine to please p-mail me with:

>1. The name of the rebuilder Myself

>2. The length of time since rebuild Feb 99

3. The amount of miles since rebuild @10,000

4. Any problems with the engine after rebuild (head leaks, power problems, etc). The only problem was slight oil leak from valve covers and the breather- Fixed with Curil Dirko sealant and clamps.

(I did not have to reset the timing- I did not remove the hold down clamp when removed- Instantly Started with the first attempt to fire.)

The other problem was a Bad Digifaunt computer (which is currently being repaired. When I bought the van the Hall sensor had a short that did some damage to the computer) Otherwise it runs good.

5. The amount of money spent on the rebuild was @$4000 BUT I also did a LOT of parts replacing, USED NEW nuts, bolts ( new head bolts alone were @70$) With all the custom parts for the engine- HP parts, ceramic coatings, FI parts, ALL new hoses, Cooling parts, Red Line oils (tranny, engine).

>and installation. none I did the install.

I have not had a drop of coolant leak from the heads so far. I used Curil T for heads and engine I used Curil K2.

Robert

________________________________________________________________ Get FREE voicemail, fax and email at http://voicemail.excite.com Talk online at http://voicechat.excite.com