Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Sep 1999 12:38:28 -0300
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <Malcolm.Stebbins@MSVU.CA>
Subject:      91 overheating & temp guage question
Comments: cc: Syncro@onelist.com

My 91 syncro over-heated, My question: How do I test the Temp Gauge? has anyone ever heard of temp gauges going only half-way up and not continuing to register a 'hot' engine?

At first I was understanding as I was going 5 KPH in granny gear on a hot day (33 C) for 20 minutes and the rad fan was cycling on high. When I came to an idle (deep in the back woods), the engine quite and I had to let it all cool for 20 minutes to get it to go again, it would start but not idle, like a piston was rubbing in the cylinder.

But then driving back home on the highway - as I down-shifted to turn on to my street, it quite again. - but again all was OK after 20 minutes. This was un-forgivable!

During the whole trip, the temp gauge NEVER went above the red dot (1/2 way mark)!!!!!

Oil level is OK, There is/was coolant in the reservoir, today I 'blead' the radiator and only a tiny wisp of air came out. At idle, there is coolant being pumped back into the reservoir.

The ONLY thing I can think of is that (re a previous post) I had everything out of the van. and I wanted to test the rear heater for leaks and for this trip I had the valve open and I did not have the rear fan 'on'. I believe that this might let hot coolant circulate back into the engine. (no coolant leak at the rear heater).

I have been on the list for 2 years and I do not recall this being discussed. I might say that the van has worked flawlessly in the 2 years I have owned it. Thanks, Malcolm