Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Sep 1999 11:23:58 -0500
From:         EAP <Eckie1@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: which extinguisher?
Comments: To: Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>

Bulley, I have for my employer's new building purchased about 40 new hand-held extinguishers this past year. Four were for special use areas. They were to replace existing Halon type units. The brand name is 'Clean Guard'. They are cleaner to use and they are advertised not to wipe a computer out. Bicarbonate type cause a lot of cleanup and side damage. CO2 is our first choice but should not be used in a closed room because of suffocation possibilities. CO2 on an engine fire is not recommended because it will accelerate a magnesium fire. The main problem with Halon type devices is not so much Ozone damage as the formation of phosgene (read WW1 poison gas)in a fire. Also they will displace the oxygen in a closed room event. A self-contained breathing unit is required in this circumstance. Personally, I prefer to carry in the van a small CO2 unit. The judgement must be that if there is a fire involving magnesium it's too late unless you have massive foam agents. Hope this is helpful. Regards, Eckie Prater ----- Original Message ----- From: Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, September 05, 1999 10:40 AM Subject: Re: which extinguisher?