Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Sep 1999 20:00:09 -0400
From:         Caston/Payne <happycampers@PICUSNET.COM>
Subject:      VW cabriolet Q's (no vanagon content)

Please forward this to the "Rabbit list" if someone is on one. Just reply to me @ <happycampers@picusnet.com> We went to look at an 88 Rabbit Cabrio today and have a few questions for someone knowledgeable with this platform/year. **********The cabriolet in question is an 88. Anything that typically causes problems with this year? It has 127,000 miles on the clock. Any real worries about that? **********Some other info: Top is recently replaced and looks to be in good shape and functioned fine. Engine/transaxle was damp with oil on the lower portion and several what looked to be very slow drips. I figure with 127K fairly normal. Engine oil pressure light flickered at deceleration from highway speed. The sellers were running a cheap oil filter and figure that a proper filter will probably take care of that. A little clicky/clacky noise from what is sure to be the FI (the junction of the SS braided lines) Little exaust leak. Clutch was on the floor. Fella said he had put a new clutch disc (so I figure that it's the slave cylinder) Hard to replace? Cost of part? Cruise didn't work. Any common failure modes? Very expensive to fix usually? Front end had a bit of a shimy and pulled off to the right a little. Fella said he had recently had new tie rod ends on and they just resetthem to previous setting without analignment. "Environmental controls" seemed to just blow warm. What gives with that? Other that that it's a right square car I feel. Just don't want to wander into a restoration project! Any thoughts appreciated,

Dave & Sherrie Williamsburg, VA zzzzzzzzzz__ |E[__] [__]|[_]\\ | _DC&SP | _ || * * * =-( )---------( )--=