Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Sep 1999 08:59:44 -0700
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: Yakima racks web site on back hatch of Westy
Comments: To: Gentle Ridge <gentle@GENTLERIDGE.COM>

Deena, Both Yakima and Thule make a variety of rack systems that will allow you to carry a canoe on top of your Westfalia. They both have web sites, and both the web sites have a program that will recommend the parts you need. You can even order them over the web through REI at www.rei.com. Mostly they seem to recommend installing fake rain gutter plates on the side of the fiberglass pop top as an attachment point. This would allow the top to be raised with the rack installed... but probably would have to remove the canoe since it would be too heavy to lift up with the top. I am about to use this method on my Westy for carrying my kayaks.

Alternately, if you don't want to drill holes in your fiberglass top for the fake rain gutter mounts, Thule makes an ultra high 'foot' (I don't see it listed at REI; it's the highest of the three 'foot packs' that Thule offers.) that attaches directly to the stock rain gutter and will clear the top of the pop top (when its down). Yakima towers mounted to the original rain gutters will not clear the pop top unless you can alter them some way. I've been told by Roy that these can be positioned above the luggage rack and at the very rear most spot on the rain gutter and then the top can be raised without removing the rack. But this would only work if this spacing is appropriate for the length of your canoe. Otherwise the rack would have to be removed in order to pop the top with this set up.

Bill 90 Westy Syncro -----Original Message----- From: Gentle Ridge <gentle@GENTLERIDGE.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Sunday, September 05, 1999 10:03 PM Subject: Re: Yakima racks web site on back hatch of Westy