Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Sep 1999 17:43:14 -0500
From:         Matt Brickell <bricknord@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      Newbie needs list wisdom

I have been driving my new 84 Westy a lot lately, and have noticed a few bugs that need to be worked out. Hopefully someone here on the list can throw some help my way. First, and most urgent...I have noticed a gas smell when I fill the van the whole way. I do not fill it past the first auto stop from the pump at all but am still getting a gas smell. Well, today I found out why. I noticed a small spot on the ground and took a closer look, and I noticed a gas leak! It is very slow but still I am very concerned of course! Due to the way the van was parked, it was dripping from the driver side rear corner of the tank but the whole ds seam was moist so I am assuming it is the welded seam or somewhere on top of the tank and is running to the seam to the lowest point. I have not noticed it unless the tank is full. What is on top of the tank that would possibly leak? Is it a bear to get the tank out? I would like to remove it to take a better look if it is not a nightmare to do. If the tank is bad, is there a good source for a good used or new one anyone knows of?

The second issue, and much less urgent: The driver's door mirror has virtually no resistance in the mount and will not stay put in wind and flops down all the time. Is there a fix for this or a source for a new mirror anyone has found?

Third: Has anyone replaced the long AC lines that run the length of the van? I had an 81 Pickup (Rabbit) at one time and took the old hose to a shop and they used the old fittings and replaced the rubber hose at low cost, but there were a few feet of hose there, and looking at the van hoses they must be out of this world $. If I am going to get the AC back on line I might as well redo the hoses unless it is cost prohibitive in which case I will stick with natural AC ( window ).

BTW, if any readers are in the Kansas CIty area, FYI, I was at U Wrench It today and lo and behold there was an 85 (?) Vanagon passenger van there. It had no engine but decent interior and all good glass, overhead AC unit intact all dash stuff, radiator, front/rear susp etc is all there. A rarity in a salvage yard out here, so thought I'd give a heads up on the off chance anyone needs it.

Thanks for any help!!

Matt Brickell 84 Vanagon Westy 1.9 WB 83 Jetta TD 86 Jetta D Olathe, KS