Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Sep 1999 17:42:40 -0700
From:         Jacob Markow <kati@ALTAICA.ORG>
Subject:      Green vanagon spotting

Usually I just lurk on the list here but I saw something that was just so unusual last night that I feel I have to share it with the list.

Twice a month I drive from San Jose to northern Nevada on buisness. This weekend was one of those, and instead of staying the extra day and making my way home leasurely on Monday, I figured I would leave on Sunday instead, kind of late (about 6pm for a six hour drive) to avoid the hoiday + burningman traffic. I was also driving my Volvo, since both my syncro is disabled (tranny is out for a rebuild right now) and, honestly, the Volvo's top speed is quite a bit higher, especially in the hills :). I raced through Sacramento, making good time the whole way, despite the heavier than usual traffic, and, while having lost daylight some time before, was sure that I spotted a Vanagon up ahead. Creeping up on the v'gon I checked the rear out, looking for some indications of model and year. From behind I guessed it at a '86-'88, the interior looked like a 7 passenger. What confused me about this was that it was of a color green I had never seen before on a vanagon. This was unusual, but I'd seen some wierd pantjobs before. I continued on past so I could take a look at the rest of the vanagon. It was dark but I spotted on the side that it was an airport shuttle from Sacramento. This was the real surprising part for me, since I have almost never seen a 'working' vanagon in the US. (For anyone interested, I have scads of pictures from a visit to Isreal of vanagon and eurovan pictures, almost all of them doublecabs.) I figured it was interesting enough to get a mention. I'd be thrilled if the van that picked me up from the airport was ever a rear-engined vw :).

P.S. Anyone know who is a good supplier for gearbox parts? I've got my syncro tranny open and I need some gears and other parts for it.

-k