Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Sep 1999 20:42:41 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      1.6TD- "free flow" exhaust ok?
Comments: To: "diesel@vwfans.com" <diesel@vwfans.com>

Today I finally got my Diesel Vanagon TD project to the point that I could drive it. My wife was sure that this day would never come as the van has been parked in the driveway with no engine for over a year. I bought it with a blown motor caused by a seized intermediate shaft. This engine was a VW Canada rebuild with less than 10k miles according to the seller. With no oil pressure, all of the big end rod bearings were cooked and the cylinder walls were scored. I installed a 85 Jetta 1.6TD motor with Quantum manifolds. The turbo cleared the left engine mount due to the Quantum exhaust manifold having an offset mounting location for the turbo. The engine starts easily and runs smooth. My question is, is it harmful to drive any distance with no exhaust system attached to the turbo? I would like to take it about 5 miles to a muffler shop to have an exhaust system built. If they can't do it, I will then need to drive it home. Am I risking anything?

TIA, Mark