Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Sep 1999 17:22:18 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Spare Gas Container - My Solution

Sometime back, there was a thread on the storage of spare gas cans and the inadvisability of storing such in the spare tire area. I too had lusted after the spare gas can that fit inside the spare tire, but finally gave up after years of trying to locate one. Couldn't even find them in Germany when I last visited.

When we purchased the Westphalia ('82 Diesel) and picked it up in Weidenbuch, I purchased a spare container (plastic) which was stored in the interior cupboard next to the rear seat. Over the years, with infrequent and sporadic usage, the container eventually got relegated to the garage. When I converted to gasoline power ('90 1.8 L 8V Digifant), I was reluctant to store spare fuel inside the passenger volume. The German plastic container would not fit easily in the spare tire well, so another solution was needed.

Solution: Many years ago I put mud flaps all around (purchased from QB Autocamp in England) and mounted the rears by drilling the lip of the frame near the mounting point of the Diesel engine covering pan. I purchased two mounting rings from a trailer supply store, and a screw-close threaded chain link. The threaded link neatly went through the two holes in the rear fender behind the rear wheel (forward of the bumper. The two mounting rings were secured by drilling the outer frame lip just as I had done with the mud flaps. I then purchased two Rubbermaid 1 gallon spare gas cans mounting them up into the rear fender well, behind the rear wheel. I mounted one on each side. Originally, I was going to fabricate an Aluminum holder to support the container, but finally used the thick solid rubber tie-downs (sold at Hardware stores). The front hook is attached to the front mounting ring, the rubber strap then goes diagonally across the gas container, through the link on the lower fender lip and then on to the rear mounting ring (mounted near the back panel of the vanagon. The area available is about 5.5 inches deep, 8.5 inches wide and 12 inches long. The Rubbermaid container only occupies about 1/2 of this volume, but it doesn't hang down below the edge of the fender skirt. The stealth, or unseen nature of the solution appeals to me. I have had occasion to use this arrangement four times in the last three years. The total stored volume of 2 gallons has served well. More than eight months of southern California weather and inattention did not cause any loss in stored fluids. The mounting rings are stainless steel and have shown no signs of corrosion. The rubber straps seem to last much longer than the tires. So, outside, easily accessible (particularly compared to a spare tire solution), cheap ( less than $30 plus time) and time tested!

Hope this helps someone!

Frank Grunthaner

Postscript: It really bothered me that this area was unused. Also no apparent heating problems (muffler, etc.). Oh yeah, use at your own risk...I know nothing...!