Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Sep 1999 18:58:45 -0700
From:         Dana E Hager <dehager@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Re: rebuild survey! (more data please!)
Comments: cc: KENWILFY@AOL.COM

I have a 1984 Vanagon GL Wolfsburg that I purchased from the original owner with 84,000mi. He never had any engine work done on it and used regular coolant. At around 160,000mi. it developed a leaky left side water jacket gasket. Being my only car at the time, I called around trying to locate gaskets to make the repair. I pulled the head and found a fair amount of pitting and slightly warped head. Not wanting to have a lot of down time (and I was broke), I had a shop shave a little off to clean up the metal but not too much because there was not anyone local to fly cut the cylinder holes to compensate for the shaved head. Well...I cleaned it all up slapped it all together with only new gaskets and the black German goop and hoped for the best. I now have FOUR years and 240,000mi. on the van and no leaks. Yes it's true, 240,000mi., regular coolant and the right side has not leaked (it will now)!

Now this must be a rare case because I never knew any of this great Vanagon knowledge stuff until I joined the list early this year. I just ran the hell out of this van.

I still own it and drive it. Still runs strong, more power than my 87 Westy Syncro.

Dana E Hager Nazareth, PA

87 Westy Syncro 84 Vanagon GL

Anyone wanna buy it???

____________________________________________________________ PS here is the info I need again: 1. Year of van and displacement of engine (1.9 or 2.1) 2. Who did the rebuild? 3. Time since rebuild? 4. Mileage since rebuild (in miles if possible) 5. Any problems since rebuild (this includes total failure of the motor and replacement under warranty)? 6. Cost of rebuild (in US dollars please if not please specify)?