Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Sep 1999 18:49:46 -0700
From:         Bob Gourley <spruce@HARBORSIDE.COM>
Subject:      My Syncro died

Howdy:

My '87 Syncro died suddenly about 300 miles ago. I coasted it into a shady rest stop, got out , wiggled a few wires, found nothing wrong so got back in , turned the key and it took right off and it ran fine.

A week ago it suddenly stopped again about 35 miles from home. Had the wrecker bring me home. There is no fire at the spark plugs and the fuel pump doesn't hum. The plugs are dry and the fuel pump relay doesn't click when the ignition switch is turned on.

The Hall connection at the distributor shows 11.67V across the two outside terminals. From the center terminal to battery, I get an almost imperceptible vibration of the needle of the voltmeter with the starter turning the motor over.

From #1 to #15 on the coil, the meter shows 1.2 ohms. From #1 to #4, I get 2948 ohms.

When bridging #3 and # 13 on the control unit connector, the fuel pump does not hum.

I want to thank Debi and others who helped me on the AFM problem. I am not new to Volkswagens, my first was a '61 bug, then a 63 buss, then a 70 buss. I took the '63 motor apart and got it back just fine but when it comes to electronics, I am sure the world has gone on and left me.