Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Sep 1999 21:38:27 -0400
From:         Southard <southard@GIS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Middle Seat Installation

David:

There exists hardware for connecting the seat to the tracks. Hard for me to describe. Maybe you could find a friend with one installed or a local junkyard. I got mine from the person I bought the middle seat from.

Did you have to pull up carpet before you began cutting?

Maynard '82 Westy Diesel "Reinhardt" '93 EV GL "Klinger"

On Tuesday, September 07, 1999 1:56 PM, David Bogle [SMTP:bogle@BWAY.NET] wrote: > Interested Listmember, > > The middle seat intallation into my Westfalia is mostly done. Just need > some bolts for the track/body connection. Don't think the plastic plugs > will do in the case of an accident.;-) > > First I drilled up through four of the plugs from under the van to > locate the track centerline. Marked a 2 3/4 inch cut width and cut the > vinyl flooring with my trusty Olfa retractable knife and a straight > edge. That left me something to follow with my circular hand saw. > > The tracks are recessed. The front cut must extend beyond the shorter > track > length to allow the seat track to slide on over. Both cuts are the > lenghth of the longer track. Since the circular saw only goes until it > hits the cabinets, the last 3 to 4 inches was done first by drilling > along the cut line and then with a chisel. I'll paint the cut plywood > edges before bolting the tracks down. > > If I remove the left side arm rest the seat will be able to slide on > over about another 4 inches. I think I will not do this since the seat > is held in place horizontally by the door and the cabinets. At least > not until I have it anchored to the tracks somehow. Any tips on this > anchoring would be appreciated from those with middle seats anchored. I > can picture an accident scenario where the sliding door opens and the > seat slides out with belted passengers attached. }:-0 > > It's a tight butt-squeeze to get into the rearmost seat without the > folding feature, but that will just be reserved for the not-horizontally > challenged folks and kids. There's plenty of legroom in front of the > middle seat. Only drawback is no access to the fridge while the seat is > in place. > -- > Regards, > David Bogle > Brooklyn > '87 Vanagon GL Syncro Westfalia 6-Passenger