Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Sep 1999 08:40:18 +1000
From:         Mark Fisher <mfisher@SCU.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Ring and Pinion Wear

Hi guys,

Mark from Australia here. You've probably seen a few of my posts re: my Syncro and its sick ring and pinion in the rear tranny. I have heard from many sources that MOST vanagons both Syncro an transporter style end up with a failed pinion at around 120,000kms (read 75k miles). The story I keep hearing is one of poor case hardening on the Pinion gear. Of course VW australia deny such a problem exists and informed me that the only way this would occur was if the preload was incorrect in the diff itself. It looks as though Vanagons sold into Australia had a lowewr final diff ratio than most of the ones you got in USA. My diff has a 7:38 ratio (5.42:1). I think you may get a 8:38 (4.75:1)

This leads me to the question of why I don't hear reports of this from the US. Weddle engineering certainly don't expect any such problems and have told me that they routinely put trannys back together at 170,000Miles with the original R&P set. I am wondering if it's a problem with this ratio, or perhaps they were originally assembled incorrectly out of Germany

I'm spending about A$4000 on the tranny rebuild here in OZ with some parts having to come from Germany. The wait is killing me, but it should be worth it. My main concern at this point is wether the front diff will do the same. I HOPE NOT!!!

What would be the best gear oil to run in this thing.? Should I consider some third party friction reducing additive(teflon or molybedenum?)

What a great thing this list is!

Thanks

mark

Swift Performance Equipment 3/19 Kays Lane Russelton Industrial Area Alstonville 2477 NSW Australia

Ph: +61 2 66287778 Fax: +61 2 66287779

email info@spe.com.au Internet www.spe.com.au