Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Sep 1999 21:48:48 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Subaru was: 2.1l engine for sale too $900.
Comments: To: David Marshall <vanagon@volkswagen.org>

>david wrote:

>This is part of the reason (the 15 degree thing) and the other reason is >for some people, the less electronics means the less things that can go >wrong.

well, reductio ad absurdum, take their vans and give them bikes

>I take my Syncro 4 to 5 hours into *no where* i.e. if it breaks >down, I'm walking - for days - before I see anyone! In my parts box there >is a spare fuel pump, alternator, motor cycle battery and a points >distributor - with these parts and CIS fuel injection I can get home if >need be! With CIS-E, Digifant-II or Motronic yer stuck if something vital >to the fuel injection system dies.

Really? I suppose those foolish CIS-E, Digifant and Motronic fans travel without spares? Come on, I can take a spare Digifant brain, a spare distributor, a spare fuel pump, a spare alternator, a spare battery (my aux battery) with these parts and Digifant II I can get home if need be. Not much different than CIS.

>For those of you with AAA and never >stray from populated areas this isn't so critical - for some people it is a >problem. I have a couple of customers who are planning on going to South >Americia - they want simple and bullet proof stuff under the engine cover - >I don't blame them!

And in South America they have never seen anything more advanced than CIS?

The point is that all of the engine management systems have their pluses and minuses, you're a champion of CIS, I like Digifant and Motronic.

Alistair