Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Sep 1999 01:50:50 -0700
From:         Max/Joyce Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Pop Top Sports Rack
Comments: To: ThZouave@AOL.COM

I think adding kevlar would be a stronger option to the reinforcement ofthe glass top. Metal backing plates underneath would probably do, but depending on the weight of the load on the Thules(including stress from side winds), adding a metal plate underneat the same size as the fake gutter on top may create a very undesirable stress riser where you have a very rigid arear(metal) and a not so stiff fiberglass top. Constant flexing of the more flexible material over time will crack the fiberglass where it meets the metal. Having a somewhat larger underneath plate than the top plate would theoretically spread the load out better. If you have an expensive composite sea kayak that is relatively light weight, this may not be a problem, but if you have an 80# plastic tandem sea yak, it may be another story. Then there's the issue of loading that plywood and 2x4"s and lawn timbers up there so you don't get the inside dirty. I would also roound the corners of the bottom plate and make sure the plate conformed to any curvature in the pop top.

Kevlar will add strength if epoxied properly in place, clamped and heated for maximum bonding strength and if enough material is used. But kevlar gives very little rigidity. An all kevlar canoe or kayak will eventually flex itself to death and that's why foam cores or fiberglas or carbon fiber are added( depends on how big your billfold is) to provide the proper composite strength. Also, I doubt that VW tops are made with much more than a woven roving or mat type cloth and these materials drink resin like a sponge and likely only a chep polyester resin was used to hold it all together so the adding of kevlar and epoxy reinforcement may be like trying to make silk out of a sow's ear. But at least you tried!!

Dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel 90 GL 138k daily driver From: Todd Thompson <ThZouave@AOL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Wednesday, September 01, 1999 8:33 PM Subject: Re: Pop Top Sports Rack