Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Sep 1999 09:47:41 EDT
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Power Window Motor/Regulator
Comments: To: jeff_gilbert@peoplesoft.com

I think your problem is actually a wire problem or a ground problem. I had a similar problem with a customers van. Turned out that some of his wires that go from the switches on the driver's door out to the fuse panel were partially cut and broken where the driver's door shuts. Apparently the door had shut on them somehow pinching and partially cutting the wires. The result, you could get 12 volts at the motor but it wouldn't work. When I tested for amperage there was very little. As you can tell this was a rather frustrating troubleshooting session until I finally cut open the rubber boot on the wires that come out of the driver's side door and voila! the partially cut wires actually snapped completely so I had found my culprit. Also I sell brand new power window regulators for $150 each.

This is the motor and the regulator that is made by the OEM of the power windows. These are updated and don't use the pulley and cable method like the trouble prone motors, but use a screw jack method like the manual regulators (trouble free). The motor location is moved to behind the speaker in the door instead of being in the bottom of the door. This means if you have a stock speaker you can get this to work. If you have a deeper aftermarket speaker then you will have some clearance problems (the speaker won't fit). You can also get shallower aftermarket speakers as well in which case it is not an issue at all.

I also have OEM power window switches for $35 each. You can get the frames that hold the switches from you local dealer for a little over $3 each.

Hope this helps ya. Ken Wilford Van-Again John 3:16